Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Too Much Information


An interesting post by Jack Derby titled "There's Nothing Easy About Sales" reminded me of my standard lecture at the start of my workshops. Jack proposes the 1-2-3 Rule - in short - "Attend anything-a seminar, sales meeting, or boot camp-, and you should try to walk away with no more than three things that you’re going to put to work almost immediately."


My standard pitch is that I speak to my class about Monday Morning Behavior. I explain that means that once this course has completed – what behavioral changes are you going to make once you are back in the office? Then I tell them (having spoken with their managers) that they need to meet with their manager next week – and commit to what they are going to change, by when – and how to measure it.

It works really well.
My pitch with the managers is to focus on no more than 3 changes at a time (as in 1-2-3!!) . My analogy is my golf game. I’m bad at golf and always play with friends better than me. After 3-4 holes, they take pity on me and give me tips. Those tips make me better and better until I get to about the ninth hole. Then I am trying to remember to many things at once – and my game falls apart again..
So three things to remember.
One - write down and commit to change from any training you go to.
Two - your customers feel the same way (overwhelmed) if you present or demo too much.
Three - you can make serious money playing me at golf!



1 comment: