Friday, January 21, 2011

Handout Happiness and Horrors

Back in September 2010 I wrote an article about Handout Happiness, which dealt with best practices for hand-outs and that eternal question of “do I hand-out my handouts before or after the presentation?” The topic has been getting some play around the globe. Oliver Adria of ReThink Presentations over in Germany riffed on the slide-ument model of handing out a hard-copy of the slide deck before the presentation – he’s not a fan. (I’d recommend his weekly newsletter – it’s short, sharp and to the point).



Meanwhile – Olivia Mitchell from New Zealand writes a Speaking About Presenting Blog. Also back in the summer of 2010 she published 13 Best Practices for Handouts – many of which are amazingly similar to Oliver’s and mine – proving that handout horrors are global!

I believe that handouts can be a powerful weapon in the arsenal of any SE – particularly when conducting a remote demo or presentation – if only they were used correctly. Check out my article, and Oliver’s and Olivia’s and decide for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Dear John, thank you for the short review! I have now added your article on my blog

    http://www.rethinkpresentations.com/

    and

    http://www.rethinkpresentations.com/handout-happiness-getting-a-foot-in-the-door-with-a-hand-out-part-1/

    Best regards from Cologne, Germany,

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete