Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Profiling The Sales Engineer

Over the last year I've been involved in several personality profiling exercises conducted with teams of Sales Engineers. Right now one of my customer projects is developing an interview/personality profile for potential new hire presales engineers.

Most profiles seem to be built either on the Myers-Briggs (MBTI) system or on DISC - although it seems to me that DISC is easier for people (i.e hiring managers) to pick up and understand than MBTI. I also discovered an interesting variant on DISC that involves colors instead - so someone is a high Red instead of a high D - which is Dominant (quick , fast, get to the point type of person).

Although there is obviously no perfect profile - it is apparent that some personality trends lend themselves better to some types of SE jobs over others. Even if it as simplistic as different behaviors for strategic, big account solution-sell SE's versus transactional run-and-gun SE's.

I've settled on using DISC with the colors variant for those who are more visually driven - and my question is - are there any SE organizations out there who have profiled their teams? And would you be willing to share your results if I share the data I've gathered over the past 5 years with you?

3 comments:

  1. >>transactional run-and-gun SE's>> Interesting point there. I would like you share your perspective by writing a comparative article on SE roles in Solution vs transactional selling. I feel that the SEs job is more challenging in transactional selling becuase the sales force can most times do without an SE. So how does an SE establish value in a trasactional/product sales environment (Short sales cycles, Customer mostly driven by price, sales most often tries to fit the product to customer's budget rather than focus on upsell / cross sell)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anton - that would be an interesting topic. I'll add it to my ideas list for the next few months. My initial thoughts are that SE's in these cases make a difference on the "edges" - those deals that are more competitive in nature or where the product isn't a 100% fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get to learn about your personality through taking DiSC profile assessments at websites like intesiresources.com, you'll definitely get to learn a lot more about yourself and get to bank on on your strengths.

    ReplyDelete